Tuesday, March 28, 2006

A little shrine

I just happened to stumble across this little Shinto shrine while I was riding my bike around Tsukuba one day.

Small Shrine

I've seen small shrines all over the place, but they look professionally built. I've never seen one like this before. It looks like it was cobbled together with whatever materials were lying around. But it still has the traditional elements: a roof, the special woven rope with the paper streamer, and a platform for offerings. It also seems to be regularly tended, judging from the tea bottles left as offerings.

Shrine pillar

Strangely enough, it has a small stone pillar or something next to it. It has writing carved into it, now faded from years of exposure to the elements. It makes me believe that, though small, this shrine was important enough to someone to have such a tablet or pillar placed next to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home