Saturday, June 17, 2006

An Izakaya Lantern

A lantern in front of a pub near my place

Well, it's Friday, and I thought I'd show off one of my favourite shots to date. I've been saving this one for quite a while now. And since it is Friday, and the minds of many of us turn to indulging and imbibing, I thought this a particularly fitting photo.

For those in need of some liquid refreshment, a good bite to eat, or just a kind ear on which to unload their problems, these lanterns act as warm beacons in an icy sea. Many of the shops they adorn are little more than hole-in-the-wall bars, with barely enough room at the counter for a dozen customers. But the cozy atmosphere is what continues to draw people in day after day, and year after year.

I actually took this shot without a tripod, using my camera's Night Shot setting. I was surprised as to how well it turned out.

2 Comments:

At 9:19 AM, Anonymous tore said...

Nice glow on the wall to the right. And what luck to find a lantern in such good nick. Round here they all look a bit chewed up. Suppose that might be an interesting shot too. We could do a "before and after", heh heh!

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger reona said...

Do you like Izakaya?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home