Friday, June 09, 2006

May peace prevail on earth

A fitting sign if ever there was one

"1) Aspiring sincerely to an international peace based on justice and order, the Japanese people forever renounce war as a sovereign right of the nation and the threat or use of force as means of settling international disputes.

"2) In order to accomplish the aim of the preceding paragraph, land, sea, and air forces, as well as other war potential, will never be maintained. The right of belligerency of the state will not be recognized. "

From the constitution of Japan, article 9.

This is something that many Japanese people are proud of. I see signs like this posted all over the countryside. Whether the renunciation of war is a good thing or not I don't know. But I do have to admit that the desire for peace is, to say the least, admirable.

5 Comments:

At 11:12 PM, Anonymous tore said...

Nice perspective. Kinda strange to see a sign like this just in the middle of nowhere...but I think I've seen the exact same thing somewhere. Somehow it looks familiar.

 
At 12:33 AM, Blogger Stardog Champion said...

Thanks for the comment. Actually, believe it or not this was taken along the same highway as I took the ones from the previous post. It's strange what kind of diverse landscapes and scenery you can find around here.

 
At 12:50 AM, Blogger Azhar said...

Agree with tore,
Thinking straighteing the pillar might help this shot.Blurring the background might help and also sharpening.GREAT SHOT!

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger micki said...

I really enjoy the little lessons I learn here!

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Timmybomb said...

The sentiment is nice, but I don't think a bunch of well meaning sign posts are going to change the world.

Hey Champ, sorry I haven't been buy in a week. I've been catching up since returning to town. Looks like I missed some good photos.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home