Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Neglect and decay, part 2: Rusted bus stop sign

Busses are probably the most inconvenient method of transportation in Japan. They're expensive, slow, and cramped. A lot of the ones in my area even have wooden floors. It seems that the bus companies try to cut costs wherever possible just to stay viable. So it's no surprise that replacing or removing old signs isn't exaclty high on their list of priorities.

A rusted bus stop sign

This is a bus stop sign near the police station up the street from my apartment. There's no bus schedule attached to it, leading me to believe that no bus actually stops there. Like the tobacco ad in yesterday's post, I guess it wasn't important enough to actually get rid of.

Note: it was about 11:30 at night over here when I first posted this. I'd just gotten back from the gym and I was completely wiped. I wasn't quite at my best when I wrote it, so I'm redoing it. I hope you like the new version better.

3 Comments:

At 6:48 PM, Anonymous Suby said...

I always say, if the image is not ready or you do not feel that it merits posting up. DON'T POST.

I was going to give you my thoughts on this shot but will wait till you post the edited version.

Suby

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger Stardog Champion said...

Well, after a lot of tinkering I found out this is about as good as it's gonna get. I know it's not the best picture by a long shot, but the picture itself wasn't what I was shooting for--it's the story behind it.

Basically, as the post's title suggests, I'm trying to show what kinds of things get left to the elements around here, leaving eyesores everywhere I go.

I'd actually be very interested in hearing any ideas you might have as to what, if anything, could make this shot better. Remember, I'm really new at this and could use all the help I can get! ;-)

 
At 12:45 AM, Anonymous Suby said...

Email me the original image, let me see if there is anything interesting I can come up ith (I make no promises)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home