Friday, June 02, 2006

A rickshaw in Asakusa

Rickshaw

Sorry for not posting any pics the last couple of days. Like I've said before, the rain hasn't exactly been conducive to taking good shots. I have a couple of OK ones, but I'm going to have to give them another good look-over before I make them public, if I do at all.

In the meantime, here's something from the archives. These ricksaws, or "jinrikisha" as they're called in Japanese are still quite popular among tourists coming to Tokyo.

They're not exactly the most practical form of transportation, especially given how notoriously snarled up the traffic tends to get. But then again, you don't ride in a horse-drawn carriage because it's practical either, do you?

One other thing: I got a few comments on my last photo that there was too much "noise" and that different settings might have alleviated it. Unfortunately, I haven't got the slightest clue how to go about getting a well-lit shot in a dark place without using a flash. In that shot, I was trying to capture the ambient lighting of the room. If you were using the same camera as I was (a Canon Powershot A540), what would you have done? Please leave me a comment and let me know!

1 Comments:

At 7:58 AM, Blogger Timmybomb said...

Hey Champ. I don't get the draw with rickshaws. They seem lame. I think they are just a dumb tourist trap. I say dumb because as far as I can tell most major cities that are tourist attractions have rickshaws, so they are not really unique to any one area. Cool photo though.

Regarding your previous post, those of us with cheaper cameras have to resign to the fact that there are some things we just can't do. Taking photos of large, dark, interior spaces is one of those things. The higher ISO ratings on our cameras create way too much noise, rendering the image useless.

Normally, I would recommend a tripod and a slow shutter speed, but with that set up, your subject (the musician) would have been all blurry. The 'atmosphere' would have been recorded very well with that setup however.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home