Thursday, August 10, 2006

The calm before the storm

The dojo, pre-practice

My friend Podgy was kind enough to invite me to his dojo the other day. He's been training in various forms of martial arts since he was 15 years old. In fact, he came to Japan originally to train, and he's been here for, well, much longer than I have.

Those weapons on the wall are not just for show, either. Granted, the majority of the art revolves around unarmed combat. But from time to time, the sensei will show how a particular technique can be adapted to a particular type of weapon.

During the busy times, as many as 50-60 people can be crammed into this tiny dojo no bigger than a house. Its reputation extends around the world; people come from all different countries to train here.

In the coming days, I hope to show you a slice of the gruelling, yet enjoyable training that these people undergo at the dojo of one of the last true masters of a fading form of combat.

Oh yeah, be sure to check out Podgy's Tokyo Talk for a slightly different perspective on Japan!

7 Comments:

At 11:30 PM, Anonymous Suby said...

Ummmmm takes a deep breath.

What is the aim of this shot? To show the dojo and the weapons on the wall.

The weapons on the wall however look blurry, Does not focus on anything, the image does not capture anything, I keep thinking, "what am I looking at?"

Too much off the dojo floor is in the picture. Can you start posting up your EXIF data?
Suby

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger Dennis said...

Wow, nice photo! Well presented!

 
At 4:24 AM, Anonymous Christian Wagner said...

I like the shot a lot. It's a little 'crooked' which bothers me a bit but thats a quick fix and as suby mentioned, the wall is a touch out of focus. But I LOVE the idea and the story behind it. Aside from a couple minor technical details, it's a very cool shot! It also would be cool to see another shot of your friend in the dojo in some type of pose with a weapon.

 
At 4:27 AM, Anonymous Christian Wagner said...

Oh, and where in Japan are you living? It's on the itinerary for my trip and am always looking for places to go and see. Thanks!

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Sidney said...

Well, I guess it is a journalistic approach your following. I think you did well to start with this picture even if the image is not 100% in focus.
I regularly post pictures I am not happy with because I think it helps to understand what is going on.

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger PhotoSam said...

A suby said...the shot is kinda plain without much aim and stuff aint in focus BUT i love the entire dojo feel and u shud try christians idea of having ur friend pose with some weapons...also loving the title...7/10

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger micki said...

I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of images you are able to get with your new camera from here. Should be great!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home