Saturday, August 19, 2006

Which path to choose?

Two roads diverged in a wood...

(Foreword: I know this is a long post, but I ask you to read it all the way through.)

I've been struggling with a bit of a dilemma lately.

The original focus of this photoblog was not really about photography. It was actually meant to be more of a documentary on Japan. The focus was to be on written accounts of life over here, with a few photos thrown in to enhance the story.

But over time, I started to realize just how bad my photos really were. (Part of it was actually thanks to Suby giving a strong "me no likey" to a photo that I thought was really good. Interestingly enough, it was through Azhar's kindness in posting it on his blog for me that it (and this blog) got noticed in the first place.

Ever since then, I've been on a constant quest to try and take better and better pictures. It's been a struggle, but I've never been one to back down from a difficult task. A big part of it is due to the rather blunt, though extremely helpful tutelege of our friend Suby. Though I have a long way to go, I feel I've made a lot of progress in the past few months.

However, I still enjoy writing. I also enjoy telling stories and explaining things. I guess that's just a bit of an occupational hazard, being a teacher and all. And as such, sometimes in the rush to tell the story, the quality of the photos gets missed.

So, now I am faced with a choice of paths: do I focus on presenting only the best-quality pictures, and step away from storytelling, or do I accept that sometimes a less-than-perfect image will have to suffice to move the story along?

The say you can't have your cake and eat it too. Well, in this case, "they" are wrong, whoever they are. You can have it both ways.

So as such, I would like to annoucne that I am starting a new chapter in my photographic development (no pun intended). I'm starting a new photoblog on shutterchance. It should be up and running in a few days. This is where I plan to put only the best of the best images, with minimal descrpitions. These shots will be there for the world to judge as they are.

I will still keep Stardog Champion's Photoblog up and running, but I want this to return to its original intent: telling stories about Japan.

Also, don't be surprised if you find that a few shots end up in both places. Sometimes a picture can help tell a story, and sometimes, being worth a thousand words, can tell a story all by itself.

It is my hope that the criticisms I get from what I post at Stardog Photos will force me to improve the quality of every photo I take. This should result in better quality of the "storytelling" photos too.

And in that way, I get to travel both paths at the same time, and everyone wins in the end.

5 Comments:

At 1:04 AM, Blogger micki said...

I love your decision and I look forward to visiting both blogs regularly!

 
At 9:54 PM, Anonymous torekimi said...

Excellent idea. I look forward to seeing Stardog photos when it's up and running.

 
At 7:10 AM, Blogger PhotoSam said...

Firstly, loving the photo.....also, i liked that shot that az put up of yours, i still remember it from long ago....
am really really looking forward to seeing the new photoblog and see what else you have to put on the table...

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Sidney said...

I understand your problem since I had to make exactly the same choice.
I have a photo blog about the Philippines. I want to tell the story of an event, of the lifestyle of the Filipino's. It is impossible to do this with pictures that are all "great" all the time. I need to compromise in the quality of my pictures. If you take the "journalistic" approach you need to post some lesser pictures for the sake of the story.

I might take the same way as you in the future and start a new blog with only my best pictures.

Alas I spend already too much time in front of my computer (addicted) and I am not sure if it is a good idea to start a new blog.

Anyway, I am curious about your new blog and be sure I will visit both blogs regularly.

 
At 2:25 AM, Blogger Robin Freeman said...

I understand your dilemna as well. You know that I love to write stories and take photos as well.
My photos tho, have nothing to do with my stories. I will visit both of your blogs and I wish you well. I have more to say but I will follow up with an email.

=:-}

 

Post a Comment

<< Home